Closing date: 10 September 2021
Founded in 2015, We Are Not Numbers (WANN) is a project of Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor. We have a mission to “tell the human stories behind the numbers in the news” by pairing Palestinian youth with native-English writers from around the world who coach them on how to tell their personal narratives, and those of others, in a way that will resonate with readers from other cultures. We care about decolonizing and reclaiming the stories of Palestinians through our journey with our writers. As you consider whether you are interested in the position of Social Media Assistant, we encourage you to visit the website: https://www.wearenotnumbers.org.
We Are Not Numbers is seeking a full-time Social Media Assistant. This person will work under the guidance and direct supervision of the WANN’s Project Manager, with regular reporting to the WANN Board of Directors.
The expected duration of the contract is 11 months. The contract may be extended based on a satisfactory performance evaluation and the availability of funding for the project.
- Manage WANN social media channels according to a strategy agreed upon with the Project Manager.
- Regularly post or share relevant stories of people in the Palestinian territory, refugee camps of Palestinians worldwide, and the diaspora.
- Design and implement social media plans to support WANN’s mission to the world and to support our advocacy and fundraising campaigns.
- Develop stories and intersectional narratives that correspond with different themes and commemorative events.
- Identify timely news developments in the Palestinian territory to share/comment on using the appropriate channels.
- Respond to comments and messages on social media channels (or recruit the appropriate person to do so) within 24 hours of receipt.
- Track and report success metrics and areas for improvement using available Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram data.
- Submit a report by the first Monday of each month on the previous month.
- Keep abreast of social media trends by reading and reporting back on articles in the international media and participating in and sharing insights from identified continuing-education opportunities.
Innovation: Makes new and practical ideas work.
Leadership: Persuades other writers and partners to follow; generates commitment, excitement, and excellence in others.
People Management: Listens, persuades, adapts, and synthesizes information to communicate an independent analysis.
Delivery: Gets things done while exercising sound judgment; meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of required tasks.
Project Management: Can plan, organize, and control social media content.
Partnerships: Able to engage with local partners including universities, schools, and donors, and to forge productive working relationships through social media.
Results-Based-Management: Able to support WANN’s mission and achieve results; able to meet deadlines and complete tasks, with minimal direction.
Social Media: Has professional-level ability to deal with social media platforms and design graphic information for social media and other graphic assignments as assigned (such as to posters and videos), as well as good photography skills.
Report Writing: Able to prepare and format well-written, comprehensive, and accurate reports.
- BA in Journalism, IT or other digital field, Graphic Design, or English
- At least two years of professional experience.
- Experience in administrative report writing.
- Awareness of storytelling and having graphic design experience is an asset.
- Being a current or former writer of We Are Not Numbers is an asset.
The candidate must be willing and able to be available during off hours (typically via the internet but sometimes in-person) to respond to overseas team members and the media and to attend sessions with the writers.
Interested applicants should fill out this form.