We're looking for a new project manager
We are seeking a unique individual to lead the team that runs We Are Not Numbers: a mature, seasoned project manager who also is a passionate storyteller.
We Are Not Numbers was founded in 2015 by an American journalist who joined forces with an aspiring writer in the Gaza Strip. Its mission to “tell the human stories behind the numbers in the news” by pairing Palestinian youth with native-English writers from around the world who coach them on how to tell their personal narratives (and those of others) in a way that will resonate with readers from other cultures.
The Gaza Project Manager for We Are Not Numbers (WANN) has two reporting relationships: first, into the Global Executive Director for overall strategic direction, and second to a Gaza member of the Managing Committee for HR and local government-related issues.
The Gaza Project Manager is directly responsible for:
- Proposing the annual strategic plan/goals and budget, then monitoring and reporting on activities and expenses against the agreed-upon metrics.
- Hiring and monitoring all Gaza-based employees, holding them to account for their assigned goals/responsibilities. Conduct performance reviews and take action when necessary.
- Cultivating a team spirit among Gaza employees and participating writers, via team-building and professional-development activities and conflict resolution when needed.
- Identifying and implementing methods to evaluate and report on the impact of We Are Not Numbers for donor communications and project improvement.
- Working with Global Executive Director and Managing Committee to plan annual fundraising drive.
- Identifying and coordinating outreach to global and local media, offering youth viewpoint.
- Generating monthly reports for the managing committee on progress against goals, new opportunities and staff issues.
To be successful in this position, the candidate must possess:
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to the mission of WANN.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English, with an emphasis on storytelling or journalism. Must have previously published in English; preference will be given to otherwise qualified individuals who have participated in We Are Not Numbers in the past.
- Experience in coaching, mentoring or managing team members, inspiring them to perform at their best.
- A balance of assertiveness and diplomacy.
- Strong conflict-resolution skills.
- An ability to manage multiple activities according to deadlines, assuring no tasks fall through the cracks, with minimal direction.
In addition, he/she must be:
- Willing and able to be available during off hours to respond to overseas team members and media, including access to internet.
- Willing and able to be present in the WANN Gaza City office most workdays.
Interested applicants should submit their resume, a letter of motivation, and links to two English writing samples (of no nore than two pages each, if not available via a link) to Ahmed Alnaouq (email@example.com) by midnight Monday, October 11.